If there is no plan to go somewhere, just try to make empek-mpek palembang on your own. Is not too difficult, much less the traditional recipe can be adjusted to taste. Too spicy or sweet of the vinegar gravy, can be made to taste. And do not forget to see the special note on this recipe.
- 1 cup minced mackerel fish
- 1 cup Water
- salt to taste
- 2 tbs vegetables oil
- Starch to taste
- 1 kg brown sugar, chopped
- chili to taste
- 200 g of garlic
- 3 tbs white vinegar / tamarind water / lemon water
- salt to taste
- 2 liters water
How to Make:
- Mix the minced fish with water and salt until completely dissolved and quite salty.
- Add to taste a starch until the batter can be stirred (a lot of flour depending on the desired firmness). If you like chewy can be add more starch.
- Empek-mpek palembang batter is allready to formed according to taste. To empek-mpek kapal selam(submarine pempek), take the batter as necessary, make a bowl, fill inside with a crude egg and then paste it sure, to keep no leakage happen.
- Boiled over medium heat until floated. Remove and drain. then put in the cold water.
- To pempek lenjer, form the batter into cylindrical form,boil until floated, remove and then put in the cold water
- To make “anda’an”, take a little batter, add fried garlic, sliced leeks and egg, stirr well.
- Form the batter into balls and fry in hot oil over low heat until float and mature.
- Cook brown sugar with water as necessary until dissolved.
- Puree garlic and chili and add the stewed brownsugar and bring to a boil.
- Enter the vinegar and salt. Simmer for 1 hour until slightly thickened. remove and strain.
- You can add sliced cucumber to complementary.
Serve empek-mpek palembang with mashed dried shrimp.
- Choose a fresh mackerel and take the meat and then mashed until the white fibers of the meat is raised.
- For this traditional recipe, measuring smooth mackerel meat in a container or bowl. Then add water as much as the size of the fish meat (eg, if the fish is a half bowl, half bowl of water used also).
- Amount of starch used, adjusted by desired viscosity level of empek-mpek palembang. More starch, will be more thick and more chewy.